You know how you have one of those days when you wake up wanting that particular dish? I had that craving with these: Cornflakes French Toast! I had them in LA at a lovely cafe and it was so so delicious. I was very happy to have found Damn Delicious’ recipe and did my own little adjustments to it. It was a bit tedious but I just really wanted them.
- Unsalted butter – for frying
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 3 slices of thick-sliced bread – cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups of crushed cornflakes
- Maple syrup – for dipping
Bear with me on the methods because it’s worth it.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- Dip the bread strips in the egg mixture and let the excess drip off.
- Dip this into the crushed cornflakes. Press them down gently.
- Melt butter on a medium-high heat pan.
- Add 3-4 of the coated bread strips to the pan and cook until golden-broad for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!
This would make about 3 servings (but of course, I had them all). So I would suggest having 3 stations in this order – (a) bread sticks, (b) egg mixture, (c) crushed cornflakes and then finally landing on the pan! It was so delicious and I’m not even exaggerating. It tasted exactly like the ones I had in LA. It was sweet, crunchy, tasty and actually quite light. The maple syrup combo was great. To make it look prettier and more similar to the LA ones, I would have drizzled the sticks with maple syrups and have some sliced strawberries and bananas as toppings. I was pleased with the sticks themselves.
Give them a go and let me know what you think about them!