If you follow me on Twitter, you would know why this post is going up late. Internet failed me. But I’m back and I’m not missing my third day of Blogmas already!
While everyone is making fancy cakes, cupcakes and whatnot, I thought it would be quite nice to keep it simple with a lemon loaf. It’s ridiculously easy with very few ingredients and just one bowl to mix everything in and a loaf pan to pour the mixture in. This lemon loaf is so springy, light and flavoursome. We bake this whenever we feel like having something sweet.
- 170g of self-raising flour
- 170g of caster sugar (this time we used 170g brown sugar, it still came out great)
- 170g of unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 grated lemon zest (depends on how lemony you want it, 2 is decent)
Yes, those are the ingredients and that’s the measurement.
- Preheat your oven to 180-degree celsius.
- Using a mixer, add all the ingredients into the bowl and let it do its job. Make sure everything is well cooperated, especially the sugar and the lemon zest is not in chunks but mixed.
- Line your 9×5 inch loaf pan with greaseproof paper.
- Pour your mixture into the pan.
- Let it bake for 30-35 minutes. Check by poking a toothpick in the centre to see if it comes out clean.
- Once done, let it cool down to room temperature and then serve!
They do rise a bit. I cut them up into quite thin slices. The texture is so soft. The lemon adds a good tangy flavour to it. Extra: You could also make a simple lemon icing and pour it over the loaf.
Excellent treat or a coffee cake!
What do you think?